Create absence accounts for your employees
- Go to Schedule > Absence accounts
- Click on ‘Create’ > Create for multiple employees (or for one employee if needed)
- Choose the Account type and click next.
Step 2: (for accrued vacation accounts):
1: Departments: filter which employees to have a vacation account created based on departments
2: Employee types: filter which employees to have a vacation account created based on their employee type.
3: Accrues from: The date the employee should start accruing vacation from. If there's set a ‘Hired date’ for the employee, this will automatically show here. You can choose another date if needed.
(Note: an employee can never accrue before the account accruing start date.)
4: Bank holiday calendar: select which bank holiday calendar to be used. Requesting a vacation on a bank holiday will return “free” and will not deduct a vacation day form the vacation balance.
5: Accruing rate: is not editable for a single employee, only in the main settings for the account type.
6: Start balance - vacation accrued: x amount of days/hours the employee has accrued until the ‘Accrues from’ date.
7: Start balance - vacation taken: x amount of days/hours the employee has taken until the ‘Accrued from’ date.
8: Carry over (if this is allowed for the account): how many days this employee can carry over (if it’s different than the rule).
See absence accounts
Once the account for this employee is created, you will see it in the list under Schedule > Absence accounts. If it’s not visible, you will need to change the time period in this page (it only displays the accounts that’s in the chosen period).
The period is default set to last full month.
It will show all employees, their respective accounts and 4 different key numbers.
1: Start balance: tell how many hours/days the employee had entering this given period.
2: Vacation accrued: tell how many hours/days the employee have accrued in this given period.
3: Vacation taken: tell how many hours/days the employee have taken in this given period.
4: Remaining balance: tell how many hours/days the employee had at the end of this given period.
In a month (or any other desired time interval) you can see who have taken vacation and how much.
You can set the period from start date of a vacation year to last day of a vacation year and see an nice overview of how much each employee have accrued so far and also how much each employee still needs to spend before vacation year ends. - this way you can see a bit into the future based on predictions only of cause.
Employees can request time off using the Planday app or through the web client, from Home > Your Vacation.
Similarly, approving or denying requests is possible for managers on both platforms.
To apply for time off through the app, navigate to Account > Time Off
Under Time off, employees will be shown a list of their time-off accounts with their respective balances and validity periods, their pending time-off requests, and a list of all the previously approved and/or denied requests.
The employees will be able to apply for time off by selecting Request then choosing a single date or a date period via the calendar. If they have more than one time-off account with no priority order set they will be able to choose which account they wish to withdraw days from. Before submitting they will see their balance before the request, and the balance after the request. They will also be able to leave a note for the manager who will approve or decline the time-off request.
Once the request is sent, it will appear immediately in the Time off screen’s pending request list.
Pending and approved time off requests will not deduct the balance of the time off account(s) in this overview screen until the date that the time off is due to take place.
Approve / Decline vacation
To see and approve /decline the vacation requests go to Schedule > Absence requests.
Here you will find a list of the requests.
To approve / deny a vacation request, click on the row of the request. Here you will get an overview of the request:
- Vacation request date(s):
- Status: Requested, approved or Denied
- Name: Name of the employee
- Requested: Date the request was sent
- Total account impact: Impact the approval of the request is expected to make.
- Note: Note from employee: blank if no notes
- Account: What vacation account will be used
- Current balance: The balance of this account today
- Deduction: The impact this request will have on the employees account
- Expected remaining balance: What will be the balance at the date after this vacation. Details break this calculations down in an easy understandable way.
- Confirm request deduction: Possible for the manager to edit the days that shall have a vacation cost. The edit in the vacation request will update the about values for ‘Deduction’, ‘expected remaining balance’ and ‘impact’. The page reloads because of this.
12. The employee has X overlapping shift in the same period.
- If “0” overlapping shift no more details shown.
- If 1 or more overlapping shift, then options:
- Keep shift(s): shift will still be in the schedule
- Change the type of the shift(s): possibility to change to another predefined shift type
- Set as open shift(s): make the shift open for other employees to take it.
- Delete shift(s): delete it.
13. Option to Deny or Approve the request.