This article is a step-by-step guide for switching your configuration from vacation accounts accruing in days to similar accounts accruing in hours instead.
This guide is tailored to fit the scenarios in which changes are triggered by new regulations or by changes in your organization's policies.
Please note that in order to make these changes to your vacation accounts, you'll need a Schedule manager or Admin permission level. You can read more about permissions in this article.
1. Disable your existing accrued vacation account in days.
Navigate to Settings > Absence, Overtime, Vacation > Account types > click on the pencil icon to edit your existing accrued vacation account in days.
In the newly opened Edit window, make sure that the button Renew automatically is unchecked, then click Save.
This will stop your existing accrued holiday account in days from renewing, meaning that your existing employees won't automatically get a new account in days at the end of the accruing period for the current one.
2. Create your accrued vacation account template in hours
Within the same Settings > Absence, Overtime, Vacation > Account types, find and click the Create button, from the top right corner.
This will open a new window where you can set up the configuration for the new account after you select Accrued vacation account. Then:
- Input the name you want to give to your vacation account in hours
This is how you will be able to quickly find the account in the list under Schedule > Vacation Accounts.
- Add a description as well if you wish - this is an optional field
- Select whether the account should renew automatically every year.
If you're uncertain on whether or not the account should automatically be renewed at the end of the accruing period, just keep in mind that you can always toggle this later.
- Define the accruing period:
- which date should your employees start accruing for the holiday year
- how long is the period in which they can earn holiday
For example, when choosing the 1st January as the Annual start date and 12 months for Duration, this will mean that the holiday year will be from the 1st of January to the 31st of December (every year if you toggled Renew Automatically, at the previous step).
- Define the spending period for the account, which should match the accruing period. The spending period represents the timeframe your employees can use to spend their accrued hours, during the holiday year.
From the example above, if you selected 1 January (start date) and 12 months (duration) for the accruing period, the same start date and duration should be selected for the spending period, as shown in the image below.
When you’re done, click Next, to proceed to step 2 of the account configuration.
This is where you'll fine-tune the details of the accruing holiday behavior for your template account:
- Select Accruing in > Hours
As a quick reminder, this article is a transition guide to accrued vacation accounts, based on holiday requirements for the UK. If you need to set up your accrued vacation accounts, based on other requirements, feel free to reach out to our support team for assistance.
- Set the Accruing rate and maximum allowance.
For Accruing rate, you can choose between:
- Percent (e.g. accruing 12.07% per shift worked)
- Hours per day (e.g. 1h per day worked)
- Hours per month (e.g. 18h per month)
The accruing rates based on hours per day or per month will not be dependent on shifts worked (approved).
For Max. allowance, you can choose to input between:
- Hours per day (e.g. they can accrue max. 1.5h per day)
- Hours per month (e.g. they can accrue max. 18h per month)
If you don't set a maximum and leave the field empty, there will be no limit to how much your employees can accrue, for this template account.
- Choose how the vacation balance is calculated and whether it should be based on worked hours. The calculations could be:
- based on a fixed rate, which will calculate the vacation hours, based on the rate you input as an equivalent for a day of work.
- based on an average of from the previous weeks. This can be either a 12-week average, 13-week average, or 52-week average (as is the UK government recommendation)
- based on an Employee setting: requires that the contracted hours are recorded on the employees' profiles (under Payroll > Hrs per month).
As a reminder, this can be set on the Edit Employee details page, from People > Employees > Edit employee ( ✏️ icon from the right side of the screen).
- select how Vacation earnings are handled (if needed).
This can be either:
- not used. you can simply select the Do not use option if this is not needed for your organization.
- based on an average of from the previous weeks, either as a 12-week average, 13-week average, or 52-week average (which would be in line with the UK holiday requirements).
- calculated through a fixed rate. When used, a monetary payout can be calculated with a fixed value per day/hour earned.
Click Next to proceed to the 3rd and final step of the template account configuration, where you will set in place how the template account will work, from an employee perspective.
Here you can:
- Select which Employee types this accrued vacation account, in hours, should apply for.
- choose whether to restrict the maximum consecutive vacation days:
- if your employees should be able to request a holiday for as many days in a row as they want, select Unlimited
- or Set a fixed limit if there should be a limit to how many days of holidays your employees can request at once (e.g. 14 consecutive days)
- Decide whether to Allow carry over for the next period and if so, define the number of days that can be carried over and by which date those need to be used.
- Add a salary code/earning rate, if you need one for your Payroll reports.
- Set an Account priority, if needed.
If your employees can have several vacation accounts, you can indicate if this account should be used first - so set as first priority, last, or whether it will simply depend on the balance left on the several accounts (no priority).
Click Save and you will have created your accrued holiday account template in hours!
3. Use the Accrued vacation account in hours template to create Vacation accounts for your Employees
To make use of the template you just created, you'll need to assign vacation accounts based on the template. To do so, navigate to Schedule>Vacation accounts.
From here you will be able to create the accrued vacation account from your template in hours, for all the applicable employees, at once.
Under Schedule > Vacation accounts, select Create from the top right corner, and in the newly opened window, select Create accounts for multiple employees
Find the template account in hours you just created in the list, using its name, then click Next.
Select the employees the accrued vacation account (in hours) should apply for, by Department and Employee type.
Then, you'll need to define when the account should be active for the employees that fit your Department and Employee type filters:
- either starting with each employee’s hired date - this might mean that the start dates and accruals will be different for your employees.
This option could be used, for instance, if your employees have been hired after the date set for the start of the accruing period
- or from the start date of the accruing period set on the template account, which means that the date and accrual should be the same for all employees.
Depending on your configuration you might need to make sure that the Bank holidays are taken into accounts for the accrual calculations on your employees' vacation accounts.
For instance, if you've set the maximum entitlement in the template account settings to be 28 days, you will not need to select a Bank Holiday calendar.
However, if your accounts are set to a 20 days maximum entitlement, we suggest that you use a Bank Holiday calendar, to take the bank holidays into account.
You can read more about Bank holiday calendars and how to create one for your organization, in this article.
Here, you'll have the opportunity to fill in any previously accrued balance (in hours) in the Start Balance > Vacation accrued before the start date (referring to the Accrues from the field from above, on the same view).
Please keep in mind, that if you chose to create an account for multiple employees, the balance in hours you'll input here will be applied to all the employees that fit with your Departments and Employee types filters.
You can also record any holiday hours that have already been used in the Vacation used before the start date, but please keep in mind that this will be applied to all your selected employees.
You can always edit this information later (both the start balance and the previously used balance), for each employee. That way you will only be making changes to one account balance at a time.
Lastly, you be able to amend the carryover (max. number of days) for the next holiday year, should you need to.
Click Save and hold tight while the holiday accounts are created for all the employees you selected.
And that's it - you're done!
If you notice something wrong or you need assistance at any step in this process, please don't hesitate to reach out to our support team, either through your Planday portal, under Help > Chat with us, or through the chat icon, available now at the bottom right corner of your screen.